The Office of Career Services is staffed by two attorney Counselors and one Recruitment and Events Coordinator to ensure that students receive the highest level of service with respect to all aspects of their legal job search. This includes not only assisting students in successfully identifying and capitalizing on employment opportunities, but also empowering students with information to help them develop job search techniques and practical skills they can utilize during law school and throughout their legal careers.
Individual Counseling Appointments
Counselors are available to meet one-on-one with Rutgers School of Law–Newark students for everything from walk-in quick questions and short resumé review appointments to longer counseling sessions to assist students with their career planning. This includes identifying employment opportunities and help with the job search process.
All students are encouraged to make an appointment with a counselor at least once a semester. Students can schedule appointments in Symplicity or by emailing, calling or stopping by the office.
The Office of Career Services now uses Symplicity for all job postings and other online career information. Current students may access more than 1,500 job listings annually from the convenience of their own home. To access Symplicity, please click here.
- Fall Recruitment Program: More than 100 employers conduct interviews at the law school or collect resumés from our students.
- Job Fairs, including:
- BLSA Job Fair
- Boston Lawyers Group Job Fair
- Delaware Minority Job Fair
- Equal Justice Works Career Fair and Conference
- Heartland Diversity Job Fair
- Loyola Patent Law Interview Program
- National Black Prosecutors Association Job Fair
- New Jersey Law Firm Group Job Fair
- Northeast BLSA Job Fair, Inc.
- NYU Public Interest and Public Service Legal Career Symposium
- VAULT Diversity Job Fair
- Judicial Clerkship Program: The Office assists students with preparing applications to federal and state court judges for post-graduate employment
- Externship Programs: New Jersey Attorney General’s Office, federal and state appellate and trial courts, National Labor Relations Board, Federal Public Defender, the Office of District Counsel of the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (formerly the INS) or the Immigrants’ Rights Program of the American Friends Service Committee, and the University’s Office of Corporate Liaison and Technology Transfer
- Resumé/Cover Letter Workshops
- Mock Interview Workshops
- Videotape Mock Interview Program: Interviews conducted by practicing attorneys are videotaped and reviewed with students
- Judicial Clerkship Panel
- Practice Specialties Panels
- Dean’s Alumni Practice Series
- New Jersey Law Firm Night
Print and Online Resources
All students at Rutgers School of Law–Newark have access to the Office of Career Services’ Blackboard site, which provides information about the office’s online and print resources. These include:
- Access to the Vault.com online career library is available through Symplicity
- Access to PSLawNet, the online public interest career resource and job databank (register online)
- OCS Publications
- OCS Handbook
- Resumé Guide, Sample Resumés, Cover Letter Guidelines, Interviewing Tips, and Sample Interview Questions
- Judicial Clerkship Nuts & Bolts Guide
- Post-Graduate Fellowship Application Manual
- Public Interest Handbooks
- Subscriptions include: Internships USA series, Non-Traditional Legal Careers Report, University of Arizona Government Honors and Internships Handbook, The Vermont Guide to State Court Clerkships, Vault Online Career Library, Serving the Public: Harvard’s Public Interest Job Search Guide, Annual NALP Report
Monday through Thursday:
9:00 am to 5:00 pm
9:00 am to 4:00 pm
*Evening Appointments welcome. Please contact the office to schedule.
Office of Career Services